Monday, May 25, 2020

Cow 40's injured leg

Over a week ago I had decided to sell the two extra cows and their calves now instead of later.  They were cows I had replaced with heifers last year.  Due to my head injury I didn't get around to selling the cows last Fall.  Since I had extra hay I kept them to this year.

I had thought about keeping them until August or so when their calves would be large enough to be on their own if the cows could only be sold for hamburger. But people were still buying pairs at the livestock auction now and I decided I wanted to simplify things sooner than later even if it meant getting a little less for them.

The auction is now on a bi-weekly schedule.  They had their last Spring sale last Thursday.  That is when I decided to sell my two pair. But, last Monday morning I discovered cow 40 had injured her leg and had trouble walking.  Cow 40 was one of the cows I had decided to sell.

Great.  Just great.  The selling of my cows were off.  I wasn't going to take only one pair to the auction.  And it is just as well I didn't go to the auction. Last Wednesday if rained an inch and the corral turned to mud.  I doubt I would have been able to pull the stock trailer in the corral as I could barely drive just my pickup in the corral.

I don't know why but it seems like every late Winter, or Spring, cow 40 somehow injures one of her legs.  That is also why I decided to sell her.  Each year after a week or two of rest her leg is back to normal.

So I put cow 40 and her calf into the loading corral.  No other cow would bother her while she healed, and there was no other reason to walk around much.  I noticed this afternoon that her leg is much better.  After a few more days she and her calf can be placed into the south corral where the bull, Speckles and Mama are located to continue healing and avoid some of the other mean cows that like to fight, and I'll be back to only two places to provide water and hay, not three.



No comments: