Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Calf 16 - Mama's

This morning I had another new calf born.  This calf was Mama's calf.  Last year Mama was late and did not give birth until July 1.  I expected a calf around June 1 this year and was pleased to have one born now before I let the cows out to grass around June 1.

Because Mama is very aggressive the first three weeks after her calf is born I had her in the south corral with Toby and Speckles.  That way it would be easier to deal with her newborn calf if it was a boy.  And yes, it was a boy.

I didn't have the other cows in the main corral temporarily.  So I was able to let Toby, Speckles, her calves, then Mama and her calf out into the main corral.  Mama and her calf were last to go through the gate.  Once her calf came through I closed the gate and kept Mama in the south corral away from me and her calf.

I carried the calf out of the corral as it rained the day before and the corral is still muddy.  In the backyard grass Donna and I were able to band the new calf.  I didn't put an ear tag on the calf as I had not made one yet for the calf, and the calf is unique looking so I can tell it is Mama's calf without a tag.

Then I put the calf back into the corral to be with Mama.


I first seen the calf in the morning.  From this distance I was trying see if I could tell if it was a boy or a girl.



It was hard to see much of the calf as Toby decided he had to check me out, and he is so large he blocks a good view of the calf (or anything else behind him).



The calf's balls are banded.  He has white balls. 



A pretty calf.



Back with Mama.   Mama's nipples are so large the calf can only really drink from the back two smaller nipples.



Mama sniffing the calf to check out what Donna and I did with her calf.




Just two cows left to calf.   I expect Diamond's calf to be born in August.  Not sure when Maria's calf will be born as she is late, and while pregnant looking, doesn't look like she will calve soon.

No comments: