Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Snow pictures

It continues to snow.  Four inches yesterday.  Two inches last night.  More snow forecast for each of the next three days.  I am tired of spending hours every day shoveling snow.

I don't know why, but the cows were thirstier today that usual.  Every time I turned around I had to fill the water trough.  I filled it multiple times today and usually I only have to fill it once or twice a day.

I saw two cows towards the river early this afternoon.  So I trudged through the deep snow to check on them.  The snow was so deep it came over the tops of my boots and I ended up with wet feet and pants by the time I was done.  Since the cattle were in the middle pasture previously, and there was little snow most of the Winter so far, I hadn't closed off the path to the river in the north pasture.  Sure enough, Maria (of course) and cow #90 were down there.  The river was ice and snow covered so they didn't go down all the way to the river.  But they were standing and looking at the patches of open water and trying to figure how to get there.

I trudged back to the corral and got one of my green corral panels and carried it to the river.  I am glad I added to the fence this Summer.  Instead of four or five panels to close access to the river in the Winter I only need one panel.  With the path down to the river blocked for now I don't have to worry about some cow doing something crazy.




Since I was out there I discovered a fallen tree.  It must have happened during one of recent weekend Winter storms.  Another tree to cut up for firewood this year.



I also put out a tub of Vitalix mineral lick.  This gives the cows extra minerals during the later parts of their pregnancy.  The tub weighs 250 pounds so I could only slide the tub out of the barn.  I'm getting old as I can't lift 250 pounds.


No comments: