Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Frozen hydraulics

The hydraulics on my tractor froze up late Monday afternoon when I went out to get another large hay bale for the cattle.  I have had the hydraulics on a cold day not respond until the tractor ran and warmed up for a few minutes; but I never had the hydraulics work then stop working.  And I have used my tractor on colder days.  The hydraulic fluid level is at full so that wasn't the problem.

Monday I had speared and lifted the hay bale.  After I backed out of the hayshed I tried to lift the bale a little higher and that is when the hydraulics quit.  Not only the loader stopped lifting, the hydraulics run the power steering.  Try steering a tractor with a large bale on it through deep snow with no hydraulics to help you.

I made it to where I wanted to put the hay bale.  After I removed the twine I was able to tilt the spear downwards until the bale slipped off the spear.  I could lower the spear or the loader but not raise either of them.

The next problem was to lift the metal feeder up on its side to move over and then drop over the bale.  I need the tractor to do this as the feeder is too heavy from me to lift up onto its side.  I was able to lift the feeder enough to set it on the end of the bale spear.  Then I was able to drive the tractor forward.  The feeder slid up the spear then up to the top of the loader's arm.  From there I was able to finish tipping the feeder onto its side.

Extra work all around but I got it done.

Today we had sun and a high temperature in the mid 20s.  I started the tractor and today the hydraulics worked.  Hooray!  Tomorrow I'll have to put out another bale for the cattle.


The weather forecast is for snow and cold through the end of February, and colder than normal temperatures for the first week of March.  Our normal highs right now should be in the mid 30s.  With a forecast of below freezing temperatures for the time being I am getting concerned about calving when it starts March 10 as the pasture is covered in snow.  I may have to come up with a Plan B.

No comments: