Friday, February 08, 2019

Another weekend, another Winter storm

After such a nice Winter, February came in like a lion and we are definitely in Winter now.  Our global warming is long gone and we are well below average temperature-wise.  We were behind in snow depth but we have caught up now.

I learned from last week's Winter storm.  I left the calves and the heifer Speckles in the south corral.   The cows and bull had finished the bale of hay in the middle pasture by this morning.   Around noon I cleaned up the hayshed and gave the cows and bull a pickup load of loose hay to eat.  After changing my plan and getting groceries today and not Saturday, this afternoon I brought out another large bale of hay for the cows.  By now the wind had picked up.  I decided to place the bale in the north pasture corner.  This location allows the hayshed to block much of the wind and the bale is outside of the corral but not far for the cows to walk to eat.

I had an extra metal feeder in the north pasture for use.  First I got the wooden pallet to sit the bale on.  By the time I drove back minutes later to get the feeder my tractor tracks were partially filled in from the blowing snow.  I am very happy I have a cab on my tractor with a heater inside.

When I opened the corral gate the cows and bull came out from the protection of the loafing shed to eat from the hay bale.  As I cleaned some of the manure from the loafing shed the two heifers came to the loafing shed to complain to me that the big cows weren't letting them eat from the hay bale.  I told them there was nothing I could do, they would have to wait until the cows were done eating before they could eat.






It had snowed quite a few inches of snow last night.  So I placed more snow around my well pump shed.  The outdoor temperature was in the lows teens above zero but the temperature from the light bulb inside the shed made it 40 degrees inside.  And that was before I added more snow around the shed all the way to the roof.   The wind is blowing 30 to 40 mph hour and a peak wind gust has been as high as 47 mph.  The temperature is supposed to get down to minus 10 degrees but I am confident the extra snow and light bulb will keep my well from freezing.


No comments: