Saturday, March 31, 2018

Calf 6 - 60's

Friday afternoon at 2 pm I witnessed the birth of cow #60's calf.  Everything went well.  Another heifer!   That makes five heifers in a row.  

Four hours later when I went to put an ear tag on the calf, the calf was a handful.  I tried backing the calf up to a tree to better hold the calf as I put an ear tag on but the calf wiggled and squirmed and I lost my balance and fell.   Before I caught the calf again she ran into a nearby barb wire fence and cut her face above her nose.  The cow keeps the calf pretty clean but I'll have to keep an eye on the calf for a few days.

March has gone out like a lion!  After I tagged the calf the wind picked up.  A strong low pressure system east of the mountains forced cold air over the divide.  While we didn't get the snow and as cold as over east, the wind howled late into the night.  The max wind speed was 36 mph with the peak wind gust of 47 mph.   Felt and sounded like Winter last night.  After I tagged the calf the cow took the calf away from me and over to the corral where the other cows and bull were eating hay.  Before sunset the cows and bull walked back out to the pasture.  The cow with the new calf stayed in the loafing shed.  The next morning all the cows and calves were in the corral and were fine.

Here is a link to an album of 19 photos of the birth and cleaning afterwards: https://photos.app.goo.gl/m6UkHMjm37hxrSMB3


Here is a 4:10 minute video of the birth: https://youtu.be/_A36YwN-1q0

Here is a 3:45 minute video of the cleaning after the birth (along with another curious calf who got in the picture): https://youtu.be/7kHJrlXBpD4


To my Uncle Larry... warning.  If you thought the earlier photo of the cow eating her afterbirth was gross, then the birth photo and video may not be for you. 

No comments: