Thursday, March 01, 2018

February bicycling miles

Since I was on a roll in January and set a new mileage record, how about February?  The first half of the month was good, but then Winter came back hard in the second half with wind and snowstorms.

I had four goals, each more difficult.
  1. Set a new record total for the first two months.  The old record, 705, was easy to beat considering I had already ridden 550 miles in January.

  2. Ride at least 1000 miles.  The would mean riding 450 miles in February.  After riding 550 miles in January, even with three less days in February, 1000 miles looked do-able.

  3. Ride at least 500 miles in February and try for the first time to ride at least 500 miles each month in a single year. Looked possible.

  4. Set a new record mileage total for February which meant riding 545 miles, or just short of 1100 miles for the first two months.  Possible with some effort.
In the end I rode 475 miles for a two month total of 1025 miles.  I made the first two goals.  And due to the snowstorms and snow packed roads afterwards for many days limiting my riding, I had to put in a lot of effort and miles the last five days just to exceed goal number 2.  This morning instead of going for a short bicycle ride to get early miles I went back to sleep for another hour plus after feeding the cattle in the morning.

Calving starts the middle of March so I imagine that will impact March's mileage totals, especially considering Winter and all this snow is still here.

No comments: