Saturday, March 03, 2018

Snow, then sun

Yesterday it snowed again.     2.5 inches.  That makes 80.6 inches for the year.

This morning the cloud bank moved north and the rest of the day was sunny.  The temperature even rose to 41 degrees. About a normal high temp for once.  Melting actually happened.  Not as much as I expected.  It seemed as if melting only happened in areas that were sunny; shadier areas not so much.

I rode my bicycle two times today.  11 am - an hour after the sun came out.  The road was a mixture of melt and slush where the sun was and icy non-melted in the shaded areas.  A couple miles north and the road was all snow-packed and completely covered.  After 3 pm the road was mostly melted though by the time I rode 6 miles north the road became all snow-packed and covered.  Even though the temperature was supposed to be 41 degrees, some water from the road came up my bicycle tires and fell against my bicycle frame and brakes and then froze. It felt like the ice buildup on the back brake kept the rear wheel from spinning freely.

As I am concerned about dry areas for calving season, this afternoon I went out to the north pasture where the cattle were.  All except for two cows laid in the dry rain-shadow areas under a half dozen trees.  The two cows laid on the snow.  I shoveled snow from an area where the snow didn't seem too deep just to try to create another dry area.  I had frozen manure to shovel around.  Now to wait and see how quick the rest of this shoveled area melts and dries.

The view this morning....





In the afternoon Daisy took a break from her nap and went outside to drink from one of her favorite places.... the house's rain gutter.



No comments: