Thursday, October 20, 2016

Stacked firewood

Another rainy day.  Before the rain started late morning I got one thing done.  I woke up from a dream where the cattle broke into the corral.  Upon waking I realized some strands of barb wire were not attached to fence posts in the north fence along my neighbor's property and I needed to fix this before the cattle found them and slipped through, as I let the cattle into my north pasture yesterday.  I am trapping pocket gophers on the neighbor's land - or trying to, as all this wet weather caused the pocket gophers to stay deep underground.  I have been slipping through the fence in a few places where the wire is not completely attached.  So just before the rain started I fixed this.

Prior to today I have picked up my split firewood.  I got most of it stacked in the pole shed.  The rest of the firewood I stacked under the patio by the house.   The pole shed - where I stack firewood - is now full.  This is the first time that has ever happened.  I had it almost full going into Winter a few times in the past, but never this much.  I'm continuing to split logs and stack the firewood in the patio.  I have more logs to split from the back yard to make room for more logs from the pastures.  If it ever stops raining I can get this done.

The stack of firewood in the pole shed measures 6 ft across, 18 ft long and at the highest, 10 ft tall.   A cord of wood is 4 ft by 4 ft by 8 ft.   Based on cubic volume I believe I have about 8 cords of wood stacked in the pole shed, which should be more than enough to last me all Winter.


No comments: