Thursday, October 06, 2016

Mailbox repair

Last Winter a car slid and clipped my mailbox post.  The accident didn't break the post but did cause it to lean a lot.  The post continued to stand (lean) since then and it wasn't until the end of September that I got around to fixing the post and everything.

This photo is from 2010 but things looked about the same up until the car slid against the post.  The additional thing missing from the photo was a board nailed to the two thin posts of the right.  The purpose of the board was to protect the mailbox from snowplow snow damage.


First I replaced the post. I wanted something more solid than an ordinary wooden post.  Initially I thought I would use an old railroad tie but I ended up using a scrap piece of cast iron pipe.  The pipe was just long enough to use as a mailbox post as the mailbox sits around 42 inches high.



 A bonus with the pipe is the flange on top. I could bolt on a wooden platform for the mailbox.  The top board is to screw the mailbox to.




Because the county is not responsible for damage to mailboxes when they plow snow off the roads I wanted something to protect my mailbox.  I already had one mailbox I had to replace due to snowplow snow damage.  So that was part of the purpose of the bottom platform board. I needed something to screw boards to in order to protect the mailbox from snow damage.

A nice solid mailbox

No comments: