Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Calf update

The calves are doing great.  They almost have the yard eaten down.  For the most part they are well behaved.  Still, they have gotten up to some mischief. I tied a tarp over the well pump shed roof. Somehow they have gotten the tarp off of one corner of the roof - twice.  They bit off the corner of one shingle.

While I protected my small trees and shrubs the calves worked to get at the leaves.  This morning I found all but one leaf gone from the small walnut tree in the back yard.  All Summer I had successfully protected this tree and its leaves but the calves finally worked the fencing apart enough to reach in and eat the leaves.  Fortunately the leaves were turning so I have hope this won't hurt the tree.

I reinfored the fencing around the large walnut tree.  Here is a 16 second video of several calves trying to get to the tree's leaves.   https://youtu.be/I7OqKm9iz7w



I cut and split some logs the other day.  Here the calves are 'helping' me.


No comments: