Sunday, July 03, 2016

Hay is baled

I finished baling my hay Sunday at 1:40 pm.  In the morning I checked the baler for wrapped twine preventing the back gate from opening but found none.  I started the tractor and pushed the lever to unload the bale from the baler.   The back gate opened and the bale rolled out.  Why it worked today and not last night is a mystery.

Would it work on the next bale?  Yes it did.  And on all the other bales except for the last bale.   The last bale was half the size of a normal bale.  I'm not sure if the gate failing to completely open was due to the machine or the small bale.  I tried driving backward and then slamming on the brakes.  After going forward and backward a few times the back gate opened when I used the lever and the bale rolled out.


I did have the twine sucked into another bale today.  I was so focused on whether the new bale would roll out of the baler I forgot to stop and tie the twine to the baler's grill.


I forgot to mention that yesterday the baler developed a strange sound when running.  I thought some old metal piece was starting to rub.  When I stopped and checked I found a small rock was in the baler's hay pickup and each time a tine came around it would strike the rock.  I pried the rock out and the sound stopped.

Where the small rock had gotten stuck.  (Photo taken after I removed the rock.)

After I finished baling the hay I cleaned the baler.  I cleaned the hay and dust from when I baled and I also cleaned the old dirt and gunk left by the previous owner. Due to the old dirt and gunk it took along time to clean the baler.  I also removed as best as I could some old twine caught when the previous owner ran the machine.  He apparently used yellow twine.


Unless I miscounted, it appears I got 35 1/2 bales. Much more than I expected.  I would have been happy with 20 bales.  I got 34+ bales from my hay field, almost a bale from part of my north pasture, and a half a bale from my neighbor's field.

In the evening I began moving the bales to the north pasture.  I worked until dark.  It takes some time to move each bale.  With the uneven ground I can't drive fast with all that weight on my bale spear.   I don't know why but 3/4 of the bales ended up in the south half of the hay field with quite a few bales near the southern end.  I shouldn't complain... this is much better than loading and moving small square bales by hand.

I was even able to move the one bale that wasn't completely tied yesterday.  I drove slow and the bale mostly held.  Only a little bit of hay fell off the bottom when I initially lifted the bale.

Tomorrow I finish moving the last eight or so bales.  It will be nice to be done.  A week of being bounced around a tractor seat is wearing me out.  I almost didn't get this blog post done tonight as I kept falling asleep earlier.

Typical bales

The half bale

Pasture and bales from one corner of the hay field.

One corner of the hay field.

Not all of the grass was cut.

No comments: