Thursday, July 07, 2016

Commercial hay processing/cubing plant farm auction

Today I attended another farm auction.   This time it was of a commercial hay processing/cubing plant farm.  The bank had foreclosed on the farm operation.  I heard the owner was elderly and had a stroke.  After I noticed that the machinery was mostly heavily used to junk, another person at the auction mentioned to me that the good equipment "left" before the place was foreclosed.

There were a few items of interest to me.  While I have a round baler I was curious what a IH round baler would sell for. The baler appeared to be from the same time period as my baler.  In person I saw the baler was very used.  One tire was flat.  I believe the baler sold for $250.

A hitch mounted 3 wheel hay rake sold for $400.  Much more than I wanted to pay for something I felt wasn't the right fit for my operation.

A fairly decent cattle squeeze chute sold for $900.  I have a self locking head gate and can somewhat restrict the cattle in my loading ramp runway, so a bid of $1000 was more than I would do.  Especially as I didn't see any machinery to lift and load the heavy chute into my pickup bed.  Usually the auctioneer will tout they have a machine to load the item for you, but not this time.

They didn't sell any of the gates.  Apparently the gates go with the property.  Several other people were disappointed too.

In the various rooms the auctioneer would sell various benches with stuff, or walls of stuff in one go.  Often 10 to 20 dollars took it all.  I was slightly interested in a cabinet/cubbyhole with metal pipes and fittings.  I think I have all I need but thought if they sold for $20 or less I would bid.  They sold for $35.

I did buy three harrow sections.  I got them for $70.  A good deal.  A short time later they sold a fourth harrow section.   I needed to bid $40 but decided not to as I had just got 3 sections for $70,  The section sold for $35.  Later I regretted not bidding more.

The IH baler left of center the sign is at sold for $4300.  The large red square baler in the background sold for $2500.


My harrow sections

Another thing I believe I got at the auction is a flat tire on my pickup.   In the evening when I was going to leave to meet Donna for her birthday supper I found my pickup tire was completely flat.  I put the spare tire on the pickup.  Tomorrow I will take the tire in to be hopefully fixed and see what caused the flat.

No comments: