Thursday, July 21, 2016

Gate ramp and hay

This evening Wyatt brought over one load of small hay bales from his field.  First I had to protect my irrigation pipe from the weight of his tractor and bale wagon.

First I got some old really beat up railroad ties and dug them into the ground next to the pipe and added extra dirt.


Then I nailed some old boards over the top of the pipe.  This is more for the cattle as I seen their hoofs slipped some on the railroad ties when they walked across them.


The railroad ties seems to have worked well in protecting the pipe when Wyatt delivered a load of hay.


I plan on getting only two loads of hay this year.  Wyatt only delivered one load Thursday night as he initially wasn't sure I was still home as he didn't still see me out in the pasture.  I had gone to the house to eat and rest up for the hay moving work.

I was glad I only had one load of hay to move this evening.  Even though the sun had set and the temperature was starting to go down I was still hot when moving the hay.   It took me 55 minutes to move 55 bales.  I'm slower than in previous years. It is hard to imagine that I moved four to six stacks of hay in one day in previous years.

Wyatt didn't wait as long as he usually (over) does before baling his hay so the bales were greener and slightly heavier this year.   (That is some of last year's hay from Wyatt inside the barn).

If no rain I will get the second stack of bales tomorrow.

No comments: