Friday, August 07, 2015

Hay and pump

The pasture grass is running short so I asked Dan to take his three cows and two calves.  With nowhere for his cattle to really go right now except the auction ring, he said he had some large 3x4x8 ft square bales and would bring several to supplement the cattle in order to keep them here a little longer.

This morning I helped him load the bales on his trailer. I watched and directed while he used his tractor to lift the bales.  When we arrived in the hayfield some of the cattle - of course -were near the gate we had to drive through.  I shooed all the cattle away except for Buddy who stood and watched.

Once in the pasture we cut the twines and then pulled large 'flakes' of hay away from the bale and tossed them on the ground.  Buddy "helped" by pushing some of the initial flakes off the trailer.  He had tried to push one large bale, but at 1600 pounds it was too big for him to move off the trailer.

We moved the truck and trailer across the field so as to spread the flakes around.  That way no one could dominate all the hay and if they don't eat it all (one bale has some water damage on its bottom), then it will be easier to harrow the left over hay around to spread it out and break it up.

The cattle seem to be happy with the hay.  Other than coming to drink water and lick salt, the cattle spent the day near the hay.  So far the cattle have been laying around the tower and not so much on the hay.



I'm still waiting on my new pump.  First it was to arrive this past Monday.  Then today (Friday).  Then yesterday it was changed to next Wednesday.  I talked to a person at the freight trucking company and was told they don't deliver to northern states (the shipment came from Florida) and they had to transfer the pump to another freight company.  I expressed how much I am needing this pump and how long it has taken for me to get it.  She said she would try to get it to me Monday or Tuesday.  This morning they called and said it will be here Monday afternoon.  I hope so.

Of course Monday is bad for two reasons: I was going to give Donna a ride to Missoula Monday.  Then today I learned Jim and Dick rescheduled the return attempt to climb Holland Peak for Monday and Tuesday.  I can't go as I have to be here to receive the pump.

No comments: