Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Cattle menage a trois

Monday I woke up to the sounds of cattle rubbing on the fence outside my bedroom window.   One of the two black heifers was coming into heat and Buddy was keeping her company.  After I got up, got my camera and went outside to see them, as I approached the fence, Buddy grunted a "back off" warning when I was getting closer than he liked.  So I stayed my distance.  When Buddy is "on the job" he is pretty serious.

I did see it was heifer #110 who was coming into heat.  Either she is not yet into standing heat else Buddy is too big for her as she wouldn't stay still when Buddy tried to mount her.  In between attempts Buddy would lick her, else she would lick Buddy's forehead.

Then I noticed the other black heifer (#120) trying to get into the action.  She comes into heat just after #110 does.  While Buddy doesn't want any other cattle nearby any female he is romancing, and will push others away if they ignore his warning, he didn't do anything when #120 tried to mount #110.  It appears Tall Pines Ranch has a little "menage a trois" action going on right now. 

My herd is something else: racists, lesbians, and now swingers.  




Buddy is as big as both the heifers put together.




While Buddy was occupied and the herd distracted, Oreo took time to eat a few apples.


No comments: