Sunday, March 22, 2015

Another big bale for the calves

Daisy inspects the bale before I haul it out for the calves.



While the cows' hay bale is already out in the pasture, some of them were taking a break to chew their cud when I wanted to bring the hay into the corral for the calves.  Since Buddy was part of the group I waited for them to finish and move back to the pasture.


Of course Mama and then Number 7 decided to come to the gate and look at the pickup and hay bale before getting a drink of water then leaving for the pasture.  Anything to drag it out.

Number 7 will be a first time mother soon.  Both she and Mama appear to be the farthest along in their pregnancies.


Here you can kind of see where number 7 has licked her belly.   I notice that the cows do that more when they are far along in their pregnancy.


The calves are waiting for their hay.  Of course Daisy is right along with me and the action.


Finally the new bale is placed for the calves.  Daisy is inspecting the final result.


The calves again buzzed about as I tried to push the bale out of the pickup.  The calves distracted me and I forgot to completely remove the pickup's tailgate.  The tailgate's latch broke and now I need to buy a new one.

No comments: