Monday, July 08, 2013

Stacking hay

Sunday I got my hay for the year from Wyatt.  I plan to have cattle over this next Winter so I filled my barn with hay.  I always thought the barn would hold 300 hay bales. Now I know... the barn will hold 330 bales when filled from wall to wall and all the way to the front door.

First I had some prep work for the barn.  Friday I cleaned out the barn.  I had 15 bales of straw and I carried them up to the attic after sweeping the dust out of there.  I also put the two hay bales I had left from last year in the attic.


I removed this structure.  I'm not sure what is was for, perhaps to hold hay for livestock allowed in the barn? 


Years ago to keep sunlight off the hay I hung these old coats over the two windows.


I replaced the coats with window blinds.


The two new horses were a pain as they wanted to come in the barn to check things out and to lick up the stray loose hay on the floor.

A clean and empty barn.


As you can see Wyatt's bale wagon stacks the bales high.  Eight rows high.   The wagon holds 55 bales.



The stack is so high I have to use a ladder to remove the bales from the top two rows.





When my Uncle Larry rewired the barn a few years ago I had him attach the light to a board nailed to the ceiling beam. I wanted the light low enough so the beam didn't block the light from the bulb. Last year I discovered the light was a touch too low as I broke the bulb when I tossed the top bale on the stack under the light.  Friday I removed the board and attached the light to the ceiling beam.  This gave me just enough room to safely stack the bales under the light.


I was able to move the first stack of 55 bales by the time Wyatt arrived with another stack.  Fortunately he had to bale more hay bales so I had a break before he arrived with the third stack.  I still had a few bales to move when he arrived with the forth stack.  I then had him alternate placing bales in his hay barn with bringing me the fifth and sixth stacks.  I was slowing down as the day when on.  It was good to have breaks between the fourth, fifth and sixth stacks, but I found I was starting to get stiff in the time between working.

The strings on the bales are not super tight.  Since my stacks are only five rows high this is not a problem.  I did have a problem when two bale were loose enough that they came out of the strings when I carried them against my leg.  Argh!  I stuffed the loose hay from these two bales in the gap on the right side.  If the barn was one foot wider I could have had a complete stack of 10 and not a single stack of five.

Wyatt's bales are about 60 lbs each.  That means 33 bales make a ton of hay.   330 bales total.   So I moved 10 tons of hay on Sunday.  No wonder I was tired at the end of the day.


Here is a 1:07  minute video of the hay bale wagon in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkEE2fLy5Wo

No comments: