Saturday, July 06, 2013

Jealous horses

Friday I moved the cattle back to the middle pasture.  The move went smooth.  I took along a bag of freshly cut watermelon rinds and the cattle followed me across the south pasture to the gate.  Once Momma saw the gate was open she ran off through the gate.

The horses saw this activity from the corral.  The two new horses stood in the corner of the corral closest to the pasture and stared at the cattle for the longest time.  The other two horses didn't care.

Later I heard bang and splashing at the water trough.  The new spotted horse stood with her front legs in the trough and kicked up the water splashing it out of the trough and all over everything.

What the heck?!

I went out over to her and the trough and she got out of the trough.  But the damage was done.  She fouled the water.  The other horses checked the water but didn't want anything to do with it.  So I emptied the water from the trough, washed it out and refilled it with fresh water.

Then the spotted horse was acting crazy in the yard.  She would look in the tool shed windows then suddenly walk to the back of the tool shed and look, then walk back to the tool shed window and stare inside and then to the back of the tool shed.  She did this over and over and her movements were agitated.  I kept my distance from her.

A short time later I walked out to the pastures with tools and a wheelbarrow.  When I was crossing the middle pasture where the cattle were laying in the shadow of a pine tree the two horses again came to the corral corner and then whinnied at me.

What is up with the horses?  Jealous?



No comments: