Monday, September 13, 2010

Lost and found chain

Eventually I walk most of the ranch during the year in my search for gophers or weeds or whatever project I have going on.  So whenever I lose something I am confident I will find it again (even if it takes me almost three years!)

This past April when I drug the harrow around the hayfield and pasture I lost part of a chain.  Today I found it when moving one of my pocket gopher traps.



Not a lot going on here.  Some days I work on the garage door, shortening it or filing one side so it won't rub again the side of the garage.  As long as I remember the door never closed completely so I don't know if it is because it wasn't installed right or whether over the many years the garage settled.

I also am about done caulking the cracks and holes in the garage.  Whenever I think I only need just one more tube of caulk I find some other holes or cracks.  Today I rode my bicycle to Walmart and bought another tube of caulk and... yup, I now could use one more tube.

After Saturday's clouds (which made for a cool and cloudy 12 mile hike to two lookouts) we had a beautiful day here today and yesterday.  I even had the house's windows open in the afternoon (our morning temperatures start out in the low to mid 30s).  Yesterday I rode my bicycle to a garage sale down the road and found it was at Tony's house.  I hadn't seen him in almost three years and we ended up chatting for hours.

I am close to trapping out the pocket gophers in the hayfield.  Yesterday I moved one trap to my south neighbor's field as one gopher appears to be trying to move into that pasture now that those horses are gone for the year.  And I found some fresh dirt mounds back close to the yard.  They are near the road so the new pocket gophers may have migrated from the east neighbor's field across the road.

The beavers did not rebuild their dam inside the culvert across the road.  But I see the plowed field east of the culvert is getting flooded so apparently the beavers moved down the creek to build a new dam.

No comments: