Friday, September 24, 2010

Estate sale

I've been busy this past week going through more of mom's stuff in order to hold an estate (garage) sale.

I got plenty of stuff, actually more than I need, for a sale as I had created a "pile" of stuff in my mom's room and a "pile" for stuff in the office with stuff from the office and my room (which was used as an office overflow room once I moved out).  My brother and I also had "leftovers" from a previous long-ago garage sale.  We had more leftovers than I remembered as some items were stored in the garage's attic in addition to the stuff I knew was in the basement.

More was in the basement than I remembered!


Thursday was spent setting up the tables in the garage and placing the items on them.  Compounding the effort was an all day light rain and cold temperatures.  I ended up wearing a hat, t-shirt, flannel shirt and a coat.  I also changed to shoes with a thicker sole as my feet were getting cold from standing on a cold concrete floor.

I worked on the setup until 11:30 pm.  I got everything placed but the stuff from mom's room.  As the day went on and table space opened up I brought more stuff out from mom's room.  In the afternoon shortly after I brought out the ice cap, it was sold.

The sale started at 9 am and when I looked out the window at 8:30 am I found a half dozen cars lining the street waiting for me to open.  Thank goodness I didn't have the ad run until Friday morning.  If the ad ran Thursday I would have had these "professional" garage-salers at my place Thursday night as I was setting up.

Out I went at 8:40 am.   I had opened one garage door and started to get ready.  I had a few minutes before one person drove up and came to the garage.  Once he did the rest quickly followed.

I survived.

Later during a lull one of my neighbors watched the garage and I was able to go put up signs up and down the street.  Later another neighbor offered use of her table as I had boxes of books on the ground as I had no more table space.

I did ok.  I sold lots.  More than what I sold at my sale in Kalispell.  And perhaps with a few less people coming to this sale.  But I have lots of stuff left to sell.

Tomorrow is another day and my sale starts again at 9 am.   This time I have my brother to help me all day as he doesn't work on Saturday.

Here are photos I took during a lull late morning.



No comments: