Monday, September 27, 2010

Estate sale is done

The estate garage sale is over.  Even though I originally planned to have the sale only on Friday and Saturday, and advertised it as such, we put out the signs on Sunday and were open for business most of the day.  And we got a number of people stopping in based on our signs.  It also helped that a half block away another house had a garage sale on Saturday and Sunday.

We did well.  Even though we have lots of stuff left, we also sold lots of stuff.  We made over $300 even though we sold many things for $1 or less.

Some things may have been sold for less than what we could have gotten.  One lady who bought some of mom's perfume told us that we needed to charge more for some of the other perfume items.  Instead of 50 cents she suggested we charge $5.  Oh...!  I have no clue as to what "women stuff" costs.

Today I finished putting the items away.  I threw some stuff.  I have a pile to donate to the rehab thrift store.  And the rest will go into the garage attic until another garage sale (hopefully next year).  Because I didn't have table space to display everything I didn't set out stuff culled from mom's bedroom until space opened up.  Even then, I still didn't set out all of the stuff from the bedroom.  Next time.

A surprise to me was that I sold quite a number of record albums, though I suppose the price of 25 cents each helped.  I also sold two 8-track tapes.  The other four I tossed in the garbage today even though I have fond memories of listening to Jimmy Buffet sing "Son of a son of a sailor", or listening to Joe Cocker.

Most people who attended the garage sale were upbeat and friendly and the weather cooperated all weekend.  How can one top sun, 70s, and little to no wind?

The rooms look a little emptier now.

No comments: