Saturday, September 04, 2010

Bonfire 2

Thursday night Tammy and I had another bonfire.  This night was perfect.  No rain.  Clear skies.  No wind.

Since the tree stump from the first night was completely burnt we moved to the other tree stump in the north pasture.

We burned for hours.



This night - instead of Tammy's Arbor Mist wine - we had a bottle of cherry wine that my friend Rod had made.  The alcohol content was definitely higher for the cherry wine than the Arbor Mist wine as after one glass I was feeling the wine's effects.

At the end of the night's burning some of the stump was still left.  I hadn't dug out this stump as much or for as long of a time as the first stump.  In addition this stump was for a western larch tree which are harder to burn.  The next day when I poked at the stump with a shovel the stump was damp inside.  But it was still smoldering.  So I piled some pine cones and dead weeds on it and the fire came to life again.

I left the stump 'smothered' under the pine cone ash, and when I checked a day later, the stump had burnt down more and was still smoldering.  Once it quits smoldering I can fill in the hole as the stump will either be gone or mostly burnt.

No comments: