Saturday, August 21, 2010

Short term memory, partially blind, water

I am starting to wonder about my short term memory.   Earlier this week I moved one of my pocket gopher traps to my fruit tree and garden area to catch a pocket gopher that was digging around my nectarine tree and also in my strawberry garden.  I left the milk jug and post where I last had this trap in the hayfield as I didn't need to mark the new spot in the garden area.

After I caught the garden gopher I returned the trap to the hayfield.  But not to the original spot with the milk jug and post.  While walking there I came across fresh dirt mounds in an area I had already trapped.  I placed my trap there. Seeing as how it was easy to find I didn't mark the spot.

Big mistake!

Last evening after my Strawberry Lake hike I checked my traps.  I was almost to my seventh trap location when I remembered I had placed the trap at the unmarked location.  I went to where I thought I left the trap and couldn't find it.  The spot I thought I left the trap had gopher dirt mounds as it was another area I have to go back to re-trap. This spot was on the way to the first trap.

I couldn't remember exactly where I left the trap.  I walked around and around. I even did a grid search pattern to no avail.  I had to quit when it got too dark to see.

Friday morning I checked again to no avail.  What was more frustrating was I could not re-think my earlier steps and remember where I put the trap. All for something I had done just a little over a day earlier.  Eventually I decided to try searching the area between the house and the seventh trap.  Bingo.  I found the trap.   The pocket gopher had buried the trap so I cleared it and then this time got a milk jug and post to mark the location.

Over an hour of searching and a good distance of walking because I didn't originally mark the spot.


The partially blind horse needs to keep track of the other horses better.  She was in the corral and the other horses were in the middle pasture.  When she went out to join the other horses the blind horse just missed the gate.  I believe it was because she is blind in the left eye and that is the direction she approaches the gate from the corral.  The horse walked along the fence until she found the other horses.  Then she walked back near the fence towards the gate.  Somehow she missed the gate again.  This time the horse "seen" her error shortly after missing the gate the second time and turned and went through the gate to join the other horses.

The horses have traveled between the corral and middle pasture enough now that a trail has been created.  One would think the partially blind horse would follow the trail but she veers off just before the gate.  *shrug*


The beaver(s) dammed up the culvert real good.  This afternoon I seen the water now completely covers the culvert.  Apparently Bonneville Power has not come and cleaned out the beaver dam from their culvert.  I left it for them.

Instead I cut half the branches off the last tree to fall over in the pasture.  Then I went for a swim in the river.  The river level is dropping and the water has cleared.  Initially the water felt cool on a hot day but then quickly felt good.

No comments: