Tuesday, August 03, 2010

More rain

It is nice when it rains in August.  Maybe it will keep forest fires at bay this year.

Saturday night we had a little rain so I gave in and spent half of Sunday mowing my entire yard.  This time of the year when I cut the lawn it usually turns brown as it is so dry.  My lawn needed a mowing so I decided to go for it.  A good thing I did as Monday it rained good.  This should help my lawn recover from the mowing.

The only downside - and it is a small one - is that I had sprayed one tank of herbicide on weeds this afternoon and the rain started a half hour after I finished spraying.  The herbicide company recommends spraying at least four hours before it rains.  I think the window is smaller than four hours as the herbicide can dry pretty quickly.

I thought the rain shower would be brief so I sat in my patio.  Soon pea sized soft hail began to fall.  After that let up I then heard intermittent sounds of larger hail.  After a bit it grew more common. The size of this hail was marble sized.

The noise became quite loud under the fiberglass panels that made up the patio roof.

It also rained hard as water was standing for a while after it finally quit raining.  That ended my weed spraying for the day.

While spraying I came across what appeared to be a garter snake.  The snake was motionless with its neck and head up off the ground.  I rarely see snakes where I live.  I think this was only the second snake I've seen in eight years here.

No comments: