Thursday, April 22, 2010

Why they are called pocket gophers

Here are some photos of a pocket gopher I trapped recently.  You can see it had plant roots stuffed in its cheeks.



Not much in the way of eyes and ears.


I have eliminated almost all of the pocket gophers from my hayfield and pastures.   Or I think so.  They are in the midst of raising babies right now so they are not as active in tunneling and creating new dirt mounds. I had harrowed my hayfield and pastures so I can see the new mounds fairly easily.  Only one mound appeared after I harrowed and I put a trap on it Wednesday.

Since the activity is low on my property I have been trapping them off my neighbor's property.  His land is so covered with dirt mounds it is terrible.  Non-stop hills. I have trapped around forty pocket gophers off his land and am near done.  It is much harder to tell where the pocket gophers are on his land due to all the dirt mounds.  So even though I had almost covered his entire field I imagine I have trapped half or less of what lives there.   The good thing is by trapping the pocket gophers there I am making room for the new pocket gophers on his land rather than they cross the road and move into my property.

I also trapped my first "mom".  One pocket gophers had teats for nursing.  This is the first time I have seen teats on a pocket gopher.  No, I have no photo of this.

Including the pocket gophers I have trapped on my neighbor's land my total is 65 trapped so far this year.

1 comment:

Crittergetter said...

They're caller pocket gophers because they take all the money from your pockets!!
Seriously though, You may be interested in the products found at CrittergetterOnline.Com which have been proven (both through customer feedback and testing performed by the University of Nebraska) to be 90% effective for gopher control. The Crittergetter uses an abatement technique that folks have employed successfully for decades.
http://www.crittergetteronline.com/
Link to University of Nebraska report: http://www.crittergetteronline.com/PDF/gophers.pdf