Saturday, August 15, 2009

Raining Splitting

Another day of rain. The forecast earlier this week was for a slight chance of rain from a weak low pressure system, and the rain is still here after four days and we have rain in the forecast for two more days.

I'm not complaining, but I am not getting much done. The periods between rain showers are not long enough to allow for spraying of weeds or paint to dry. And it is pretty much too wet to do much else.

There was a hike I wanted to go on today but I skipped it which was a good thing as it rained.

Finally this evening we had a break long enough to do something. I got more apples for the cattle. When they seen me in the yard they all came over. More are eating apples from my hand and it seems as some of them prefer to get the apples that way as they are more certain to get apples than fighting over them on the ground.

Naturally they want more apples than what I have. They stand at the fence and try to make me feel guilty into giving them more. Eventually they go back to eating grass. But in an hour or so they made their rounds and were back again. Seeing me they rushed over and pretended they hadn't had any apples yet today.

I am starting to feel withdrawals from being active. I was able to use this evening's break from the rain to split firewood. I have a big stack of logs to split before I can cut and retrieve the fallen trees from the pastures. And I need to do it before winter, so why not now?

I am not sure if it is my imagination, or whether my release at having physical work, but I seemed to have split more than usual over a few hours. One third of the stack is now split.

Because the logs are wet I left the split wood sit outside and be a mess. Eventually it will stop raining and they will dry and then I will stack them. The photo shows most - but not all - of the logs I split today.

No comments: