Friday, August 14, 2009

Rain

It has been a wet past three days. Unusually wet for August. I remember August last year was bone dry with temperatures in the 90s. So far the past few days we have had almost an inch of rain. A good rain. A slow off-and-on rain. A soaking rain. I don't have to worry about enough green grass for the cattle.

Naturally with all the rain I haven't got much done outside. Wednesday evening I used a break in the rain to spray several tanks of herbicide on weeds and finished the north pasture. Mother Nature was nice enough to wait exactly four hours after I finished spraying before it rained again. Four hours is the time recommended for the herbicide to dry after spraying.

Thursday night Mother Nature didn't favor me as it rained an hour after I finished spraying a tank of herbicide. I didn't even bother spraying Friday. When I did venture outside to do something like split logs it would soon begin to rain again.

With the rain - cool temperatures. Friday the temperature stayed in the mid 50s, around twenty-five degrees below normal. I am wearing a flannel shirt and a coat when outside. It feels like Fall and this is mid-August! Weather radar today showed snow falling on the higher mountains. Yet another sign of global warming.

Friday night Arnie and Eileen invited me to have supper with them and their son Larry. Arnie and Larry have climbed many mountains in Glacier Park. Monday I plan to hike to Ptarmigan Tunnel then to Redgap Pass then back to Many Glacier. A 22.4 mile hike. On the map I found a cutoff trail to the road that will save a few miles. Then there is a goat trail from near the tunnel to Redgap Pass that will save over two miles and a thousand or more elevation loss and gain. Arnie and Larry have traveled over this trail on one of their mountain climbs and I quizzed them about the trail and where to find it.

Oh yeah... heifer #75 has calmed down. She now stays with the herd and seldom bellows. She still has a look in her eye and didn't join the herd in today's apple eating frenzy so she is still in heat. Perhaps this cool weather and rain is dampening her fire somewhat. I hope so.

No comments: