Sunday, August 09, 2009

Does red make me look thin?

Last night the outside low temperature fell to 45 F. With my windows and doors open the inside temperature was in the low 60s. That must be why I slept so well. Maybe too well as I slept 9 hours.

A New York Times article backs me up that cold temperatures make better sleeping. I think in my case my optimal sleeping temperature is in the lower part of the 60 to 68 degree range.

My "girls" were not to be seen all morning (or at least the part of the morning I was awake). I had to trust they were alright and were in the back part of the south pasture or down at the river and not roaming. I'll leave roaming to gnomes and not my cattle. The south pasture, with more trees and a little roll in the land, hides the cattle better.

Still I fretted a little at not seeing them. "Trust that they are alright and not getting into trouble." I kept telling myself. I think I would have made a poor dad if I had kids as I would be worrying about my daughters all the time.

Then mid afternoon they made their circuit and came to the salt blocks. "Whew! They are ok and not misbehaving."

I dropped off a Mountain Trader newspaper for Jan as she forgot to get one this week. She is looking for a larger container to hold Jasmine overnight. Jasmine is getting pretty big. It is amazing that a few months ago Jan could hold her in one hand. Jasmine is certainly no longer a puppy.

Jasmine was spayed the other day and Jan said she wasn't feeling the best since. I couldn't tell it as Jasmine was jumping up to see me and all active when I stopped by. She gets excited to see me.

Jan told me I had to eat more as I was way too thin. I think it was the red t-shirt I was wearing. Maybe red makes me look thin?

Other than that, my main activity Saturday was to finishing mowing the weeds in the north pasture. I also mowed a small area along my fence in Jim and Debbie's pasture as they have a bad case of yarrow and knapweed also. I then started on the bad weed area in my middle pasture and got a 10 foot wide section started along the fence before it got dark (man, it is getting dark so much earlier now! Add in an overcast sky with the cool mid 60's temperature and one would think this is September. ) Anyway, it will take me a day to finish the middle pasture mowing then I can get back to spraying the rest of the weeds.

Well, I better get to bed as I have a long (17.6 mile) hike in Glacier Park. The hike is in the Belly River area so it is a three hour drive to just get to the trail head. 6 am is going to come far sooner than I'd like. One thing is for certain - I won't be sleeping 9 hours tonight! ...now, where is my alarm clock?

No comments: