Friday, May 01, 2009

Cattle feeder

A few days ago I finished fixing my cattle's feeder. When my uncles visited me a few years ago they helped me fix the feeder as it was in really sad shape from being abused by the cattle. We also put a floor in it to keep the hay off the ground. I found that some cattle like to stand with their front legs in the feeder. Over time they broke the floor.

I made a new floor and did not use plywood this time. This time I used 2x6 boards. The boards are heavier than plywood but if I ever want to move the feeder I can take the boards out. They are not nailed in as I built a supporting ledge all around the feeder's sides and cut the board lengths to fit relatively snug.

Photo 1 shows the bottom before I fixed it. (I already had removed the plywood boards.)
Photo 2 shows the new bottom. I removed a couple of boards for the photo to show how it looks.



I fixed the feeder just in time as I now am a cattle baron once again. I got the cattle today.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Nice floor design. I'm going to steal that idea the next time I build a square foot above ground container garden. This year's I'm doing using plywood, but I will be notching the boards dividing the interior into individual squares so that I can remove them easily. I was trying to make the thing as easy to take apart and store in the winter as possible. That floor would have been perfect!