Friday, May 29, 2009

Trap found

I found my missing pocket gopher trap tonight after I had given up on finding it. After resetting another trap to a new hole I picked up a few small rocks nearby and then stumbled upon my missing trap.

Inside the trap was the front half of a dead pocket gopher. That may explain how the trap got so far away from its original hole. Some animal picked the trap up and carried it off in hopes of getting the gopher.

I caught five pocket gophers tonight out of seven traps. I wish I had better success with my regular gopher traps. Of the half dozen plus traps I moved Wednesday to the new group of holes all but one trap were undisturbed. One leg hold trap had been triggered but there was nothing in the trap. The gopher must have slipped out of the trap somehow. Darn! The gophers are leery enough of the traps without having a near death experience to remind them to be careful.

I did catch one small mouse in a leg hold trap. That makes two for the year.

No comments: