Wednesday, January 23, 2008

E Pluribus Unum

Isn't it nice to have smart friends? My friend Francis found out about the phrase, "E Pluribus Unum". He knew the correct spelling and sent me a link to the Wikipedia entry that has information on the phrase. I actually found it to be quite interesting.
"Never codified by law, it was considered a de facto motto of the United States until 1956 when the United States Congress passed an act (H.J. Resolution 396), adopting In God We Trust as the official motto."

"E PLURIBUS UNUM", in capital letter spelling, is included on most U.S. currency, with some exceptions to the letter spacing (e.g. the U.S. dime reverse side).

Hmmm... maybe the reason on Trivia Night that Rod, Austin, or I (Alan is blind) couldn't find the phrase on the currency we looked at was because:
  • the lighting in the bar wasn't all that bright,
  • we all are getting older and need bifocals,
  • some of our group had a bit much to drink.

I like the motto's meaning: "From many, one", or "Out of many, one". This appeals to the part of my personality that likes order. Now all I need to do is remember how to spell it, and to practice with pronouncing it. For me, saying the phrase correctly is harder than it looks.

No comments: