Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Stump 2 in 2024, plus fallen tree cutting

I ended up removing another tree stump this year.  This was not planned.  Earlier I had decided to remove a pile of branches next to a tree stump and I didn't realize until the branch pile was removed that the stump was wobbly due to the deterioration at its base.

The pile of branches was an old pile.  One of two piles I have left in the pastures.   When I burned stump 1 back in July I used a bunch of branches from this pile of branches to feed that fire.  Then when I was checking pocket gopher traps in the south pasture this Fall I carried off a few tree branches each time to cut and use in my wood stove this Winter.  And then there were no more branches worthy of the stove.  Time to get rid of this pile of branches, and haul it off and dump it in a low spot where I don't harrow.

One pickup load of branches.  Then I was back to push on the tree stump.  It went over easily.  The part that went into the ground was mostly deteriorated and soft.   I chain sawed the rest until I ran out of gas. By then it was getting dark.



This afternoon I went back with a wheelbarrow and axe.  I cleaned up what I had chain sawed yesterday and then did a little chopping to remove that last of the stump to be a bit below ground level.   Good enough.  Now there is one less tree stump I have to drive around when harrowing.



Yesterday when I unloaded the pile of branches, and since I had the chainsaw with me, I cut the branches off the fallen tree.  The only branches left on the tree are the ones holding the tree trunk off the ground.   I'll get rid of those branches another day.

No comments: