Thursday, October 10, 2024

Heifer calves to auction

This morning I hauled my six heifer calves to the stockyards in Ronan so they could be taken to Ramsey, MT for the auction on Friday.   It is easier to do than before when I hauled cattle to the auction in Missoula.  I have less to drive and I can start loading the cattle later when it is light outside and not dark.

I had told Donna that I would start at 8:30 am.  But I woke up earlier and then started earlier.  The calves were very cooperative this morning and followed me from the south corral to the loading corral and then walked into the stock trailer.  I had the calves loaded and had just driven out of the corral when Donna and Rusty arrived.  I put a rachet strap around the back of the stock trailer to better hold that back gate in place and we were on our way.

At the stockyard I saw that it had improved it since I was last there in August.  A new unloading area.  They got rid of the wooden fencing and put in metal poles.  Much of the other parts of the corral were improved.  New fence boards.  New and more gates.  I didn't notice any bent gates.  A nice job was done and I no longer worry about a cattle breakout from the pens.

When unloading my calves I met a couple from Eureka for whom this was the first time here and they weren't sure what to do.  They initially thought I may be a worker who transports the cattle to the auction.  I explained what they had and should do and helped them unload their calves and place them in an empty pen.

Then I was off to back home.   I recently bought a pressure washer so I no longer have to borrow Donna's pressure washer.  I put mine together and used it to clean my stockyard.  It worked well.


Here is my loading corral.  I put the railroad ties outside the gate to make it easier for the cattle to step into the stock trailer.  My trailer is a touch higher so I can back up to the open gate.  Tony's and Leah's trailers were not as high and they could only back up to the railroad ties, and not over the ties.  With a little gap between their trailers and the gate I would stand a wooden pallet on one side and the other person would stand on the other side so they cattle wouldn't try to turn and squeeze through the gap instead of going into the trailer.

My trailer must be just above the railroad ties.  Today after I loaded the calves and went to drive away the trailer rubbed on the railroad ties and it took effort to drive away.  That never happened before.  The dirt may have gotten lower this year.  I may move some dirt here or maybe trim the railroad ties to be a bit shorter.



At the Ronan stockyard heading to their pen.

In their pen at the stockyard.

A larger view of the stockyard.  Other cattle were already there.

Flathead Lake during the drive home.

Now to see what my calves weigh and what I will get at the auction.  Hope for the best.

No comments: