Friday, April 05, 2024

New tractor and Mower Conditioner

Last week I got my new John Deere tractor and mower conditioner.  Due to my recent problems with my old New Holland haybine I wanted to get a new piece of equipment to cut my hayfield,  They now seem to be called mower conditioners.  And they require more PTO horsepower from the tractor.  70 hp or greater.  My old tractor has 65 hp for the PTO.  So I had to get a larger tractor to run the mower conditioner.

This is the first time in my life that I bought new vehicles or equipment.  I've either inherited things or bought used things.   This was expensive.  Very expensive.  But I don't plan on retiring so I accessed my retirement money to buy this stuff.  Might as well make my life easier.

The new tractor is 105 hp with the PTO at 90 hp.  In the tractor's bucket is the new bale spear.  The tractor's bucket and spear are attached differently than my old tractor's bucket and spear.  So I had to get a new bucket and spear.



The mower conditioner is a center pivot, not a side-pull.   I can elect to cut my field in rows and not have to cut in circles.   The cutting mechanism is rotary blades.  No more sickle bars.  I'm told it will cut hay a lot faster.  I should be able to cut my field in less than a day instead of a day and half.

No comments: