Thursday, April 18, 2024

2024: Calf 11 - 60's

This morning I found a new calf.  I've been watching cow 70 as she should have been next to have a calf, but cow 60 had her calf.  Last year cow 60 had her calf June 2.  I was expecting cow 60 to have her calf the first few days of May as cows can calve a month earlier than the previous year.  But I am fine with her having her calf a little earlier than expected.  The earlier the better.

The calf is a male.  Donna came over this afternoon and banded it and helped me put an ear tag in the calf's ear.  The calf's scrotum was larger than the other male calves born this year so it was easier for Donna to band the calf.  I had to switch from facing backwards to hold the calf's leg when banding was done to switching forward to put the ear tag on the calf.  The calf tried to get up and move away and I struggled to grab the calf's legs to stop it from getting away.  Apparently I also grabbed one of Donna's legs.  I kept the calf down and Donna was able to get up.





After banding the new calf I then looked at cow 70.  Her tail was swishing more today.  Her udder is a little bigger today.  And her rear end is puffier than usual.   Cow 70 is looking close to having her calf.  Any time now.   These photos of cow 70 is from a few days ago.


No comments: