Sunday, December 26, 2021

Winter really arrived

Winter really arrived this morning.  The weather forecast had predicted the cold front would arrive around 4 am.  At 10 am it hadn't arrived.  No snow.  Wind not too bad.  Maybe the forecast was wrong.   I went out and checked on the heifers in the south part of the corral.  After 10:30 am the wind picked up and snow started to fall when I was checking on the heifers.  The cold front arrived!  I decided to let the rest of the cattle come into the main corral (the heifers are still separated in the south corral). The cattle had eaten all of their large hay bale in the pasture.  I hadn't fed the cattle from the long wooden feeder yet this Winter so I had to put the boards in the floor of the long wooden feeder.  I then put small bales of hay out for the cattle in that and the north barn feeder. 

As the wind really started to blow, and it was cold and predicted to get colder, the cattle can stay in the corral and loafing shed for now.  Tomorrow is predicted to be better and then I'll probably put out a large hay bale then and let the cattle back out to the pasture.

No comments: