Thursday, May 09, 2019

More tall tree trimming

That one dead tree branch was calling to me.   So yesterday I found a way to cut it off.


I placed the extension ladder against the tree trunk and climbed up to the branch that goes out under the one I wanted to cut off and then walked out on that branch.  First I went with a handsaw to clear a path and also cut some smaller dead branches nearby.   Then I got my chainsaw.  I started the chainsaw on the ground and warmed it up.  I shut it off and very carefully climbed the ladder and on the tree and out on the branch.  When it came to start the chainsaw one light pull should be all I needed to do.  But the chainsaw didn't want to stay running.  After a half dozen hard pulls while also trying to hold onto the tree branch, I finally got the chainsaw started.

I didn't want to send the whole branch down on the patio roof below.  So I cut the branch in sections.  Two sections fell on the branch below and then stayed there as seen in the following photo.  I couldn't reach them to push them off.


I had to get my long rope and toss it over parts of the branches.  After a number of attempts to get the rope over the cut branch I was finally able to pull the two branches down to the ground while missing the patio roof.


I didn't have a much success with one shorter section I cut off the branch.  It went through the patio roof.


The piece that went through the patio roof.

I had more success with the next piece I had cut.  I quit cutting the section just before it was about to fall. Then I was able to push it to the side as it fell and it just missed the patio roof.

This link has photos of Daisy "helping" me untangle the rope I used to pull the branches down.  https://tallpinescat.blogspot.com/2019/05/helping-untangle-rope.html

No comments: