Thursday, May 23, 2019

Corral fix and grass

A few days ago I had to fix a board on the loading corral.  While the cattle are in the corral and the temporary extended corral they don't have access to inside the loading corral.  So the grass is growing inside there.  Which is what the cattle want.   When I made the corral and loading corral I placed the boards on the railroad ties more to keep the cattle in and not out.  Right now the cattle want in and when they put their heads between the boards to reach the grass they can - with effort - push boards off the railroad ties.  Or break weaker boards.  I think a combination of these two items did one board in.  While the cows and replacements were still too big to get inside the loading the corral, that didn't stop the new calves, many of who were inside running around.  A few calves, once inside, then reached through the fence in another spot to eat the grass in the NE pasture - and not in the loading corral.  Duh!


The past three afternoons I gave the cattle freshly mowed grass from different people's lawns.  When I got grass from Jan's lawn I also trimmed a few caragana bushes away from her evergreen trees and removed an old tree stump.   No wonder it is taking me a while to rebuild another section of my pasture fence.  No pasture fence rebuild that day.

Below is the grass from the Fosters.   Today I gave the cattle grass from Donna's yard.   The cattle quickly realized what is going on.  Now whenever I am in the backyard by my pickup they begin to raise a ruckas.  When I returned with Donna's grass the cattle were in the extended corral eating from the hay feeder.  By the time I drove the pickup into the corral the herd came running into the corral in a full-on stampede.  I was able to get the corral gate shut behind the pickup.  The cattle really want the green grass and are tired of eating hay.


No comments: