Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Anchoring a hay feeder

The cattle - mainly cow #80 - push on the heavy metal hay feeder sliding it around.  The feeder is so heavy I struggle to move it slightly.  And cow 80 easily pushes it around.   There could still be plenty of hay inside the feeder and I find the feeder moved with hay under and some hay outside the feeder.  That hay often get wasted as it is stepped on or pushed into the mud or manure. Even though I set the hay bale on two wooden pallets I also often find the pallets pushed around or flipped up in the hay.   To stop this behavior I pounded four steel fence posts inside the feeder.  This worked.  The feeder stayed put even though by the end of today all the hay was eaten in the feeder.

To get another hay bale in the feeder I will have to pull the metal posts out so I can flip the feeder on its side.  Once the feeder is back over the new hay bale I'll have to pound the posts in the ground again.  Extra work, but worth it.


No comments: