Monday, April 22, 2019

Corral panel breakout and electric fence

This afternoon when I walked out to the middle pasture to trim more trees I saw Maria nosing around the corral panel fence and eating the green grass trying to grow along the fence.  An hour later after coming down from trimming a tree I saw that the cattle were out in the north pasture.  The cattle (Maria!) had tipped over the corral panel fence and all were excited to be out eating green grass starting to grow.


Calvin came over and helped me unhook some of the panels and tip up the remaining panels to be standing again.  I had to use a sledgehammer to straighten several panels that got bent.  By the time we got the panels up and were ready to herd the cattle back into the corral enclosure Donna arrived.  I had to walk almost all the way to the river to turn the cattle around and herd them back into the extended corral.  Then Calvin and I reconnected the last of the panels.

I checked with Curtis and he still hadn't found his solar electric fencer.  Donna has a plug in electric fencer that she used sometimes when she had horses and she got that for me to use.  I needed something since having learned how to tip over the panels the cattle (Maria!) would soon be at it again.  No, they were not interested in the hay in the feeder after getting out to the green grass.

Donna's electric fence

Of course the cattle wanted to get back to the corral panels.  The electric current made them step back when they touched the wire.  It took some of the cattle several attempts before they got the idea of staying away from the fence.

No comments: