Sunday, April 14, 2019

Calf 70 and leaning fence

I watched off-and-on all day to see if Red would let her calf drink from her.  The calf mainly slept.  She slept in the larger corral loading ramp area near Red and Red checked on and sniffed the calf several times.  No head butts.  Good.

Finally after 6 pm I saw the calf drink from Red.  No kicking by Red.  So when I let the cattle out to eat from a new large hay bale, I also let Red and her calf out to join them.   Red was more concerned with her calf than she was in eating hay so that was another good sign.

That simplifies life a bit.  Now I am down to three groups for hay and water: the cows, Toby and Mama, and the three heifers in the fruit tree area.  I don't trust letting Little Red back with her mother just yet.  I may move her to the loading corral tomorrow..  we'll see.  I want to move the heifers from the fruit tree area so I can leave the driveway gate open.


This morning I discovered the cows had pushed against the corral panels overnight.  Fortunately I had wired the end panel to the fence post in four places so the end panel did not completely tip over.

Curtis has a solar powered electric fencer that I want to borrow.  But he can't find it.

I tipped the panels back upright.  I raked some manure to the fence line so that may discourage the cows from pushing against the panels to reach the green grass on the other side.


No comments: