Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Dehorning Buster

I had banded Buster's horn back on July 24.   http://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2017/07/dehorning-my-holstein-calf.html

A few weeks ago I saw that one of his horns had fallen off.  Yesterday, before I ear tagged the new bull, I checked Buster's remaining horn.  The rubber band was missing.  The horn had been squeezed almost halfway off before the band disappeared.  It is to late to re-band and remove the horn before sending the calves to auction.  So I cut it off.

Initially I couldn't find my dehorner tool and searched and searched until Donna asked, "Did you leave it in the barn?"   Duh.   That is where I found it.



Since the horn has been squeezed so much by the band it was fairly easy to cut the rest of the horn off.  It still bled a little bit.  It was nice that the horn was half dead before I cut it completely off.





Below shows where the other horn had been squeezed off by the band.


No comments: