Saturday, October 07, 2017

Corral to Hayshed fence

I finally completed the fence between the corral and hayshed.  I've only wanted to rebuild this fence for quite a few years now.   My brother can finally stop hearing me whine about my never getting this fence done.

For the last three railroad ties, one of the railroad ties was much heavier than the other two ties.  I used my tractor to lift the tie into the hole. I am getting too old to do a weightlifting move to stand the tie up and then drop it into the hole.



I had a little mishap when digging one of the holes.  As I bent down to lower the post hole digger back into the hole the bottom of the digger caught the ground and stopped and the end of one handle bashed against my forehead above my right eye as I bent down.  Blood and major soreness ensued.  Pain. Numbness.  Then more pain when the numbness wore off.  All these holes I have dug over the years and this is the first time I remember this happening.




After these photos were taken I added wire to the back of the fence to eliminate any chance of the cattle trying to stick their head through the fence.  I have a stack of sheets of wire out in the south pasture.  Since the last time I got a sheet of wire this Summer, ground wasps moved in under the stack.  I didn't realize that had happened until I got stung.  Then stung some more.  I had a cap, gloves and a coat on.  The wasps stung me five times: once on each wrist between the glove and coat, under one glove on my thumb, on the back of my head just below my cap, and on the side of my face near my left eye.

Ground wasps have a very nasty sting.  The thumb sting was on a crease, and of course the face sting, were the most painful. And kind of numb at the same time for about 24 hours.

I did carefully get one sheet of wire once I knew where the wasps were coming from.  I think due to my irrigation this Summer the wasps moved a few hundred feet from their old home to the wire stack.  The wire stack doesn't get irrigation water.

Now that the fence is complete I have removed the green corral panels used to reinforce the old barb wire fence.

This is quite a change from the old barb wire fence.  Donna asked why I was building such a massive fence when a rebuilt barb wire fence would do.  Because I like the looks of a solid wood fence.  And I had the boards.  Who knows.. maybe with a fence like this I could have some buffalo one day.   So now Donna calls this my "buffalo fence".   That is better than what my former fiancé called this type of fence: a redneck ghetto fence.  She didn't like this kind of fence.

All the boards were rescued from a neighboring business's burn pile.  I am glad I was able to repurpose the boards into such a solid fence.

No comments: