Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Clean hayshed

Today I finally finished clearing out my hayshed of all the stuff I stored in there over the last 16 years. Now I have room to put my hay bales inside the shed once I do a little work around the bottom of the hayshed.

The ground is not level inside the hayshed so this afternoon I spent time raking to try to level the ground somewhat.  Note to self: keep an eye out for a back blade for my tractor so I don't have to rake by hand in the future to level ground.

Looking at all that stuff in the hayshed I had no enthusiasm for this job.  In the beginning I was spending about an hour each day on removing stuff.  That was because I either had other projects that had to be done each day, or I would find something else more interesting to so.  And the high temperatures in the 90s made work slow.

Also add in the problems with the bull and the cow with the broken leg and one week I didn't get much done at all.

In the beginning, each day, I couldn't see progress, or much of a dent on stuff in the hayshed, and that was discouraging too.  Once my other projects finished, the temperatures got a touch cooler, and I could finally see some progress, I spent more and more time each day moving stuff.

Since most stuff would now be stored outside, and I wanted to move most stuff only once, moving stuff was slow.  I had to plan out where stuff would go, how much space was needed, and how I would have access to it later when I needed to use it.  Adding complexity was that same type of items were in various parts of the hayshed, some visible, some not.   For example, most fence posts were visible but later I found several small piles of posts hidden under other piles of wood and forgotten.

I have more wooden fence posts than I realized.

All the boards were a challenge.  I have many different lengths and widths.  I wanted the boards in the new location to be stacked according to length and size.  What a puzzle to put together!  The new stacks are good, though by the end the later boards are not perfectly placed as I no longer wanted to partially restack some boards when later similar boards were found.



The following photo was taken August 10 when I started this project...


Today's view...


On one side I had placed items on cement blocks.  Over time you can see this example of how the cement blocks sunk into the ground under all that weight.



Panoramic views:



The rolls of wire I left on the walls for now are barbless wire.

I even got rid of some stuff.  Boards that had sat on the ground and not on concrete blocks were rotting and no good.  Also I had items I had not used in all these years and I decided to get rid of.  I gave Curtis a desk, sheets of aluminum, garbage container, roll of rubber, and some small pieces of old rough cut wood that had come from my house's bathroom remodel.   That wood is now trendy and Curtis has an artist's eye on how to make interesting things from wood like this.

No comments: