Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tarping hay

While round hay bales tend to shed water, placing a tarp over them is a good idea, especially when the bales are right next to one another.

Many of the tarps I own have one or more holes in them.  None of the tarps are large enough.  I was able to find and buy one tarp large enough to cover 28 of the 29 bales.  The tarp is 30 by 50 feet.  Or maybe a bit larger.  I had measured the bales at 32 by 53 ft.    It is nice to have a single tarp as water could get in where smaller tarps meet.   The tarp set me back $119.

The weather forecast has a good chance of rain starting tomorrow and lasting through the weekend.  Isolated scattered rain shower for today usually means I don't get rain.  Not today.  I was able to get the tarp over the bales just before the rain came.

Then I was able to get the tarp tied down on the corners just before the wind picked up.  I tied the tarp down in many spots in case the wind gets to howling.


The 29th hay bale

Still working on getting a tractor to move the hay bales this Winter.

No comments: