Thursday, February 23, 2012

Visit to Benedict

Last Sunday Tammy and I drove to the Benedict, ND area to visit an aunt and two cousins on my father's side of the family.  It has been a few years since I last visited them on their farm.  Ginger and Monica made a large wonderful meal for us when we arrived shortly after noon.    We then spent a pleasant afternoon chatting until Ginger had to leave to go to Bismarck.

One room school my father attended. The outhouse is the small building out back.

From where the school was located, it is a half mile to the spot where I stood to take the next two photos.  These photos are of my grandparents' farm where my dad was raised.  All total... the distance to the school doesn't look to be five miles to me!!  I think my dad was wrong about how far he had to walk to school.


No one has lived at the farm for many decades now.  This is the barn.  The house is behind the barn among the trees.  Apparently the house is majorly deteriorated.


Scenery looking east from the school.  Typical of this area.  Open with few trees and sloughs here and there.



On the way home we drove through Benedict.  The town is a few houses, a grain elevator, a church, bar and post office.  Surprisingly, There were some houses that appeared to have been built in the last ten years or so.  In a dying town I expected all the houses to be very old.

The bar is not located correctly on the map below.  The bar is located closer to the "B" in Benedict.  Nice town sign though. A better sign than most city signs in larger cities. The red circle is where the town sign is located.



Oh yeah... the old city jail still exists.  Not that big is it?  Probably would be considered cruel and unusual punishment to put a criminal in there now.  I marked the location of the jail on the map above.

No comments: