Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Tex mex skillet dinner

Today Tammy flew to Washington State to visit my relatives and attend a Tastefully Simple conference.

I'm on my own.  I have to fend for myself.  I have to make my own food.  I'm gonna starve!!!

Oh wait.  I know how to cook.   Never mind.

So tonight I made a dinner that Tammy wasn't interested in.  A Homemade Gourmet Tex-Mex Skillet Dinner.

http://recipes.homemadegourmet.com/recipe.asp?code=9886

Tammy didn't think she would like Tex-Mex seasoning.  And this dinner was an opportunity to use up some ground beef.  Tammy is not much of a red meat eater.  And she likes her meat fresh.  No more than a few months old.  The ground beef I have in my freezer is more on the order of 'more than a few years old' and Tammy won't eat it.


Since Tammy will be away for a few days and I need food to tide me over until she returns...I got a little carried away. I added a little more of my rice to the amount of rice that came in the Homemade Gourmet packet.  Then I had to adjust the amount of water.  Then I decided to add two pounds of beef instead of just one pound to balance the rice out.  In hindsight I should have added one more can of diced tomatoes to balance the meal out.  Oh well, there is always leftovers to experiment with.  (That is if I survive after eating my 'old' ground beef.  Tammy keeps telling me I will die from eating it.  I haven't yet.  Tune in tomorrow to see if my lucky streak continues.  Or wait... the expiration date on the rice and seasoning was back in 2011.  If I kick the bucket tonight that could be the reason!   Yikes!)

By the way... I like the meal I made and am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.

No comments: