Monday, February 13, 2012

Bad bicycle seat

My bicycle seat broke today when I was riding my bicycle.   This is the third time this has happened to me over my many years of riding.   The first time this happened to me many years ago I was sitting up and taking my shirt off so I did not have my hands on the handlebars.  I fell off the back of my bicycle and got pretty scratched up.  This time the seat started to loosen up before the bolt broke.  So I had a clue that something was up and I was able to stop and get off the seat safely.

Still, I had to ride my bicycle home standing up all the way.  Over four miles.

Here are before-and-after photos before I used another bolt to attach the seat on to the seat post.  Pretty obvious why I rode home standing up.



FYI - this bicycle seat has had over 38,000 miles of use.  It shows, doesn't it?

Oh yeah... the newspaper?  My temporary fender as the roads are wet now.  Not classy.. but it prevents a stripe up my back.

No comments: