Saturday, March 26, 2011

Willow tree cutting, one branch

Today I cut a branch from my willow tree.  A high branch.  I wanted to cut the branch before the sap flows.  As willow trees have lots of water it is much easier to cut their large branches before the sap and water flows.

I only cut one branch.  Cutting a branch while standing on a step ladder using a full extended pole saw takes some effort.  And time as it is slow going.   My arms are going to feel sore tomorrow!

To reach the branch I had to place a step ladder on top of some wooden pallets I had placed in the bed of my pickup.  I used bungee straps to hold the ladder in place.  I had thought of doing this while Tammy was here as she could hold the ladder for me and spot me but she declined saying "I don't want to take you to the hospital after you fall."

Note the pole saw leaning against the pickup in the first photo.  This is before I extended the saw its full length.  Once I did so, and standing on the ladder, I could just reach the branch.



As you can see in this photo the electric wire was a pain in the way.  However I had no choice as this was the only spot for the pickup that allowed me to reach the branch and also be away from where the branch fell.  As it is the falling branch missed the pickup by a foot.  The photos don't show it well, but the branch was between the one electric line you can see and another electric line you can barely see in the upper right of the photo.  I missed both electric lines.  *whew*


This gives you a better idea as to the height involved... (if you click on the photo to see a larger version you can just make out where I had cut the branch)


Here are before and after photos...



Here is a photo from 2007 when I last did major cutting on the tree.  As you can see, back then I cut a branch that was above the other branches.  That is the branch that bounced off the lower branches and flipped onto and through my garage roof.  If interested in the story, this link will get you to past posts about my willow tree: http://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/search/label/Willow%20tree

No comments: